Monday, March 23, 2015

It's A Boy!

Ha! Ha! I fooled you! It's a baby boy quilt that started out as an idea that popped into my head last Friday morning. I grabbed a bunch of scraps, mostly Denyse Schmidt fabric strips, and just started sewing them together. I added several blue strips from my scrap bin to balance the colors and make it look more boy-ish.
*Disclaimer: No Yardage was harmed in the making of this quilt. It is made entirely of scraps and upcycled jeans.

baby boy quilt

baby boy quilt

By Saturday afternoon I had a finished baby quilt. 
I have been wanting to make a jeans quilt but decided to try using a few strips in this quilt first to see how I like it. The pocket was begging to be used, so I added it to the front and will include a small toy or softie when I gift it. Thanks to my Instagram friends for convincing me the addition of the pocket was a good idea.

I quilted it with straight lines in a one inch grid, improv fashion, like the quilt itself. 
The binding is also scrappy, made from bits and pieces of leftover binding, scraps and strips that were in my scrap bins.

For the backing, I grabbed pieces of odd cuts that were used in other quilts, waiting in the destash pile or scrap bins.

With several friends and relatives expecting babies this spring and summer, I hope one of them is a boy.

Quilt Stats:
Name: It's a Boy...quilt
Fabric: Mostly Denyse Schmidt scraps, with lots of others added, repurposed jeans.
Thread: Pieced with Aurifil 50 wt., quilted with Perma Core 40 wt. color Lucerne Blue.
Batting: Warm and White
Backing: Pieced from stash.
Binding: Scrappy
Pieced and Quilted by me on my Bernina 820.
Size: 42" x 44"

I think I'll link this up with Leanne and Nicky the next time they have a Scraptastic Tuesday.

Scraptastic Tuesday

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Bee Sewcial, March

As easy and fun as some months are in most bees that I am in, this month in Bee Sewcial had me stumped. Melissa asked for transparency blocks. I had to Google what that meant and search and search on Flickr, Pinterest and other websites to finally get a feel for how to achieve a transparent look in quilting. Being that this is a solids only bee made it a little easier to understand. And then I saw this display at Crate and Barrel and it all made sense to me. I am very visual and since Melissa wanted cool blues and greens with light grey these vases became my inspiration for the first block.

This week I sketched on some freezer paper and then cut out the pieces to make this block. It measures about 10" square, untrimmed, which is the way we are supposed to send the blocks.

For the second block, which measures about 15" square, I just did some gradual color changes with a strip pieced block. 

I have learned so much in this bee and I am feeling more confident in my creativity. So thank you Bee Sewcial, for challenging me and inspiring me to search deeper into my creative self.
Next month is my month to be queen. I better put my thinking cap on.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Stash Sewciety...March

Sometimes you get a request in a bee and you just get so excited you go a little overboard. March was just such a month in Stash Sewciety Bee. Lisa asked for arrows, feathers or flying geese. She left the sizes open, just so that they would be about equal to making 2(12-1/2") blocks. 
Using her color scheme and requests of Anna Maria Horner fabrics, Cotton and Steel or Alison Glass fabrics, I used them all with low volume fabrics as the background.
First I made an arrow. It measures about 20.5" x 4.5".

Then I made these really cool staggered flying geese paper pieced blocks that I found on Pinterest. Each block measures 4.75" x 9.25".
And finally I made a reduced sized Anna Maria Horner feather. which measures 10.5" x 13.5". Lisa can always trim down the background fabric if it's too wide.

I am really looking forward to seeing how Lisa puts all these blocks into one cohesive unit. It might just be an epic quilt for all to ogle over.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Stitch Tease March 2015

Susan Canadian Abroad is Miss March in our Stitch Tease Bee. She asked for various sized, sorta wonky, log cabin blocks with lots of white borders; so the blocks appear to float around on the quilt. 
I had fun making these blocks for my sweet friend in the UK. 
I find it builds my confidence to complete the easier blocks first. I still have two more bees to work on this month. That's one bee done for March. ✔️ the other two are a little more intense. To be honest, one has me completely confused, but I'll attempt to conquer that request next week.
What have you been working on? 
I hit a milestone with this is my 1000th post. That's a lot of random blogging that I have done in the last 4-1/2 years. It's been really fun and fulfilling to share a little part of my life and loves with all of you. 

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Auction for Eleni

These socks were a really quick finish. I took them to Seattle with me and worked on them while flying and also while visiting my friend in Gig Harbor.
I am donating these socks to the @auctionforeleni on Instagram. It takes place this Saturday, March 14. All proceeds go to support the Hauser family, who recently had a baby born with some serious health complications. If you'd like to read Rachel's words about her precious baby, you can read her blog posts here and here.
Rachel is such a strong influence in the quilting world and has helped many of us with projects, patterns and tutorials. The quilting world is so loving and embracing and I am happy to be able to help in this small way.
So if you would like to bid on these socks (starting bid is $20 US) be sure to follow @auctionforeleni on Instagram and check out all the things that will be available to bid on starting March 14.

Sock Stats:
Pattern: Simple stockinette stitch with a Fish Lips Kiss Heel.
Yarn: Opal Hundertwasser 75% wool/25%Polyamide
Needles: Addi Turbo US size 1/2.5mm
Size: Woman's size medium (fits shoe size 7.5-9)