A few days ago I wrote about the bee blocks for my friend, Helen, in the Stitch Tease Bee. I was frustrated that the blocks did not turn out to the requested size and asked for suggestions.
Katy to the rescue...
Having never made a square in a square block, I did not know that when building the square you actually sew through the point so that it touches the next seamline. In the blocks above there is a good 1/8" or more of space and that is what caused my blocks to be way too big.
Yesterday I unpicked all three blocks and resewed them. It was an easy fix. They are still not the required 14" but they are closer to Helen's request than the 15-1/2-16" that they were the first time I made them. I left the final squaring up to Helen.
In between bee blocks and secret sewing I am still working on my selvage blocks. I have 80 completed and hope to have my 100 completed soon.
If you are making selvage blocks don't forget to join us on Instagram where we have a hashtag #selvageblockalong and on Flickr.