I am not a perfectionist when it comes to sewing, except when I am making something for someone else. If it is for me I can deal with the mismatched seams or a wonky quilt once in a while, but for a swap or a gift I really try to get it right.
As soon as I finished the Pink Lemonade quilt I knew I wanted to make a mini version of it using Quilter's grid from Pellon.
I looked at my original drawing and cut my squares to 1.5". The fusible grid is marked in 1" squares, but I knew I would still be able to make this work.
My idea was to divide the quilt into 4 blocks, making it easier to fuse each piece onto the grid.
I used an applique pressing cloth that I have so the fusible would not get my iron sticky.
So far, so good.
I pieced the first square and it was almost perfect. I needed to fix that one white square about a third of the way down on the left and then I would be happy.
I fused the next section and that's where my problem started. I changed projects and changed presser feet and the seam allowance was off. So I ripped out this section and sewed it again, only to find that the seams still did not match up.
If at this point I would have ripped out all the sewn seams and then sewed the big sections together before sewing all the 1/4" seams between the squares my problem would have been solved, but no, I kept on going and ended up ripping out section after section.
The continual pressing caused the quilt to become quite dirty. I kept cleaning my iron, but it still was marking the seams with a yellowish gunk. (I do not use water in this iron, ever!).
When it finally came time to attach the four sections together I made sure to pin at every seam, easing in where needed. I am not usually a pinner, but in this case it really helped.
The final pieced top is a little off square, but I was hoping it would balance out when I washed it and blocked it. I usually don't wash a mini or a pillow cover before gifting it but in this case it was very necessary.
I quilted down the middle of each square with Aurifil 50 wt. white thread, both horizontally and vertically. Because of the interfacing used, this quilt top is a little stiff so I did not want to sew too close to the bulky seams.
The end result is just the way I envisioned it and I hope the recipient likes it.
It would look really good on my new sewing room's aqua walls. But this was made for a friend, with never a thought of keeping it for myself. I wish I still had the bigger version of this quilt so I could see them side by side, but that quilt lives with a child in Guatemala now and that makes me very happy.
This might be my most favorite part of the entire mini. This strawberry just happened to work itself into a 1" square. Now that's PERFECTION!
Name: Strawberry Perfection
Fabrics used: Briar Rose by Heather Ross, Kona white, DS Quilts for the backing.
Batting: warm and white
Thread:Aurifil white 50 wt.
size: approximately 26" x 26"
I made this quilt as a thank you to Krista, whom I met last year at the Fat Quarterly Retreat.
We got to spend the day with Krista (Poppyprint blog)and her husband as well as Felicity (Felicity Quilts)and her husband in Vancouver. Krista helped me plan our trip to Vancouver. We went to a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream as part of the Bard on the Beach annual festival and then had an early dinner on Kit's Beach.