I have finally finished the selvage block quilt. I started it in February, only planning on using the selvages from all my Denyse Schmidt fabrics. After making 25 squares, just from those selvages, I decided to keep it going and I ended up making 100 blocks from all the selvages I have been collecting since I learned they were a usable commodity, 4 years ago. When I became bored with my fabrics, a few friends sent me their selvages, too. I repeated selvages and made it completely random and scrappy. Some friends have made color blocked selvage block quilts and they are amazing. You can see a few of them in the Flickr group I started here.
I foundation paper pieced the 8.5” blocks using vellum paper; the vellum makes it so much easier when it comes time to rip off the papers.
Sewing with selvages has its challenges. The blocks end up finishing with a bias edge, so they are a little stretchy. I left the foundation paper on until I had sewn four blocks together, then I ripped off the paper and continued to sew the blocks into larger rows. Surprisingly, this quilt ended up being almost perfectly square.
The quilt has become a favorite because it represents so many of my other quilts and fabrics I have used throughout the last four years.
I wanted to try my hand at quilting swirls, but this quilt turned into a beast when it came time to use my free motion foot. The edge of the selvage kept getting hung up on the foot and I ended up sewing a few swirls with the edges stitched folded back. That was quickly solved by flipping the quilt over and quilting it with the backside facing up. Another problem with the quilting was the huge bumps created when 4 blocks meet. Thank goodness I am not a perfectionist. My swirls look more square than round, but with each quilt I think I learn a little more about free motion quilting.
I used one of the 108” wide backing fabrics from Carolyn Friedlander’s Architextures line for Robert Kaufman fabrics. I just love not having to piece a backing when I have worked so long and hard on the quilt top.
For the binding, the Madrona Road text print seemed like a good choice.
This quilt started at 80" x 80" but with all the quilting and after being laundered it shunk quite a bit. It's still a generous lapsized quilt. It is also quite heavy because the selvages are thicker than the quilting cottons.
I like that I have made something from what most people throw away, so I am calling this quilt "Trash to Treasure"
Name: Trash to Treasure
Fabric: selvage remnants
Backing: Architextures 108" extra wide in Blue
Batting" Warm and White
Binding: Madrona Road text in black
Thread: Pieced and quilted with Aurifil 50wt. color 2310
size: 74" x 74"
This is my final finish for the 3rd quarter of the 2014 Finsh Along.