Wednesday, August 9, 2017

A Baby Shower for Lauren

Last Saturday I hosted a baby shower for my son and daughter-in-law. It was a beautiful afternoon to gather with friends and family and shower the parents-to-be and their expected little girl.

My friend, Michele, has a flower design business, so when I am running short on time or ideas I call on her to make the floral arrangements. The "E" stands for the baby's name, Ellison.




The guests were a delightful mix of family, my friends and Evan and Lauren's girlfriends. 

To make it easy on myself I had the shower at a restaurant instead of our home. This also insured that I would be able to completely enjoy myself and my guests.


To combine party favors and dessert I ordered large, decorated sugar cookies and cupcakes from a local bakery. By not making these myself, I sacrificed taste but gained cuteness. These sweet treats were so cute and well received.





This baby girl is going to be welcomed in style. She received so many useful and beautiful gifts.




I started this flowering snowball quilt in May 2016, long before Lauren and Evan were even expecting. With each stitch I said a prayer that their prayers would be answered and they would soon become pregnant. In February, when we found out they were expecting, I kept on praying that the baby would be a girl, so that we would have an even number of girl and boy grandchildren. In May our prayers were answered, once again. Baby Ellison Grey is due mid-October.


I also made the cutest little outfit consisting of a bubble romper, shoes and bib. The fabric by Art Gallery Fabrics is perfect for a baby girl. The pattern can be found on the Upcraft Club website. It is the Carly Bubble Romper.




The matching shoes were surprisingly easy to make. I followed a tutorial on Pinterest. 


There are lots of tutorials for making baby bibs on Pinterest. I used this one.


For the BIG gift, we purchased their stroller from the gift registry. This thing is the Cadillac of strollers. I look forward to pushing the baby on a walk through the neighborhood in this stroller.


I like games at showers. I like games in general. No one plays games anymore. We played two easy games. For one of the prizes I made this cute coin purse. This little squirrel was just begging to be made into a coin purse. This is the UR Priceless Coin Purse. I can't seem to find the link anymore. 


My sister captured the majority of the photos of the afternoon. She did this pretty edit of the mom to be.

I'm sure Lauren is like any expectant mom...she will be ogling all her pretty, new gifts as she gets ready to hold and love their new baby girl. We can't wait to meet her and hold her.







SaveSaveSaveSave

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Fly...a Stitch Tease Bee Quilt

I put the finishing touches on last year's Stitch Tease Bee quilt. I love it so much! 
Add caption

The color story is so pretty; navy, aqua, citron, yellow and white is what I asked for and it turned out even better than I envisioned. I asked my bee mates to make 3"x6" finished flying geese and sew them together in groups of 2, 3 or 4. Each bee member  made 16 flying geese and I made the rest for a total of 240.


When it came time to arrange the geese I wanted some geese going all in one direction, horizontally and the others going every which way. I think by spacing the blocks with either white geese or white backgrounds evenly throughout the quilt helped to keep the eye moving all over the quilt, making for a very satisfactory arrangement.


I thought I would always quilt it with straight lines, but after all the blocks were sewn together I knew that straight lines was the right choice. Quilting with the built-in walking foot on the Bernina 820 is pretty easy and I was lucky not to have many thread breaks this time. 


I used a total of seven different threads, in 40wt. and 50 wt. to quilt the straight lines. I even tried to use a 12wt. thread, but my machine did not like it. As you can see the majority of the thread I used was Aurifil. I also used  Aurifil 50 wt. thread to pieced the quilt.


Spacing the quilting lines about 1/2 inch apart, vertically, took a very long time to complete. I had to limit my time at the machine to keep my shoulders from getting really sore. I quilted it with straight lines through every horizontal row, too, but not as densely.




The backing is an IKEA duvet cover. I like using duvet covers as backings. They are very economical, seeing as how you get enough fabric to back two quilts from one duvet cover. This particular duvet cover was made of the yellow on white print on one side and white on yellow print on the other side.




Martha usually likes to claim all the new quilts for herself. This time she posed next to the quilt instead of on top of the quilt.


The binding is a Dear Stella Dress Stripe in aqua. I sometimes switch between using 2-1/2" strips or 2-1/4" strips to make my bindings. This time I used 2-1/2" strips. Finishing the binding by hand is one of my favorite parts of making a quilt and is a nice and relaxing thing to do in the evening, while I watch television.


This quilt finishes at 60" x 72" .

Thank you to my Stitch Tease Bee buddies (Instagram names)
Susan @canadianabroad
Hadley @mrsflyingblind
Jennifer @knottedthread

Valerie @valbetweenquilts
Cindy @cindylou327
Trina @trina_peterson
Kari @kjarchows
Nicky @nickyeglinton
Dianne @quiltova
Agnieszka @tusenskoena
Annabella @bellazeiddar