Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Fly...a Stitch Tease Bee Quilt

I put the finishing touches on last year's Stitch Tease Bee quilt. I love it so much! 
Add caption

The color story is so pretty; navy, aqua, citron, yellow and white is what I asked for and it turned out even better than I envisioned. I asked my bee mates to make 3"x6" finished flying geese and sew them together in groups of 2, 3 or 4. Each bee member  made 16 flying geese and I made the rest for a total of 240.


When it came time to arrange the geese I wanted some geese going all in one direction, horizontally and the others going every which way. I think by spacing the blocks with either white geese or white backgrounds evenly throughout the quilt helped to keep the eye moving all over the quilt, making for a very satisfactory arrangement.


I thought I would always quilt it with straight lines, but after all the blocks were sewn together I knew that straight lines was the right choice. Quilting with the built-in walking foot on the Bernina 820 is pretty easy and I was lucky not to have many thread breaks this time. 


I used a total of seven different threads, in 40wt. and 50 wt. to quilt the straight lines. I even tried to use a 12wt. thread, but my machine did not like it. As you can see the majority of the thread I used was Aurifil. I also used  Aurifil 50 wt. thread to pieced the quilt.


Spacing the quilting lines about 1/2 inch apart, vertically, took a very long time to complete. I had to limit my time at the machine to keep my shoulders from getting really sore. I quilted it with straight lines through every horizontal row, too, but not as densely.




The backing is an IKEA duvet cover. I like using duvet covers as backings. They are very economical, seeing as how you get enough fabric to back two quilts from one duvet cover. This particular duvet cover was made of the yellow on white print on one side and white on yellow print on the other side.




Martha usually likes to claim all the new quilts for herself. This time she posed next to the quilt instead of on top of the quilt.


The binding is a Dear Stella Dress Stripe in aqua. I sometimes switch between using 2-1/2" strips or 2-1/4" strips to make my bindings. This time I used 2-1/2" strips. Finishing the binding by hand is one of my favorite parts of making a quilt and is a nice and relaxing thing to do in the evening, while I watch television.


This quilt finishes at 60" x 72" .

Thank you to my Stitch Tease Bee buddies (Instagram names)
Susan @canadianabroad
Hadley @mrsflyingblind
Jennifer @knottedthread

Valerie @valbetweenquilts
Cindy @cindylou327
Trina @trina_peterson
Kari @kjarchows
Nicky @nickyeglinton
Dianne @quiltova
Agnieszka @tusenskoena
Annabella @bellazeiddar


6 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Great quilt.... Lovely colours together.....

Robby H. said...

I seem to always like Flying Geese, but this one is exceptional. Great color scheme and enough randomness to keep your interest, but not enough to make you twitch. Hope you enjoy it.

Dianne Neale said...

Great quilt Di - as always, so happy to be a part of this bee xxx

Debbie said...

This turned out just gorgeous! I love the palette you chose, and the quilting design is perfect!

Cindy said...

Looks beautiful Di! I like how you put it together and quilted it! ❤️

Patchwork and Play said...

Everything is just perfect about this quilt Di! The colours, the quilting, Martha! She does look pretty pleased with herself!