Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Wild Silk

One night during an especially bad period of insomnia I was trolling on Etsy looking for things to help me relax and make me smile. I came across this "wild silk" piece sold by the Delhi Store. I immediately knew I had to have it and it had to become something fabulous. We had plans to attend our friend's daughter's wedding mid-August, and I thought it might make the perfect wedding guest dress. But she only had two yards available. I ordered the fabric and then went searching for the perfect pattern.


In case you are wondering what wild silk is, here is the description from the website:"Wild silk is harvested only after the cocoons are left by moths. so they are not killed in order to obtain the silk thread but the thread is cut in the process hence giving the fabric a charming unevenness in texture and color."

I knew I wanted a sleeveless dress because the wedding was in Boulder City, Nevada, where August temperatures can soar to well passed 100'F. I decided to make Vogue 9050. I never make a muslin, but in this case I did because there was no way I was going to ruin that fabric. I sketched the dress on My Body Model Croquis and liked the look of it on my body.
I am so glad I made a muslin.  I cut a size 12 through the bust and graded to a 16 through the hips. The adjustments I made to the pattern were small but gave me the fit I was looking for. I cut the neckline 1.5" lower and opened the slit in the front to make more of a modified V-neck. I shortened the waist length because I am very short waisted and also did a slight sway back adjustment to take out some of the fullness in the back waist length. The hips were super curvy to I straightened the side seams a bit to take out some fullness.
I knew I wanted a wrap because even though it was going to be super hot, the air conditioning can be cold if it blows on you. I was so lucky to find this piece of silk Georgette at my local fabric store. They only had 1-1/4 yard and it had a tiny rip in it, but I was able to use a little creativity and seal up the rip and concealed it by wearing the shawl folded on the diagonal.I also found a perfect button to use as a centerpiece on the dress.


And, Voila! Here I am in the baking sun...it was 108" when the church service began at 2 pm. But, how perfect is this setting amongst the cacti, to take the final photo.


I lined the dress with a polyester/spandex blend that really was a dream to sew with and was very comfortable to wear. I had enough of the fabric to make my first Ogden Cami, which should appear in another blog post soon.