Monday, April 16, 2018

Improv Stripes Quilt

I started this quilt after Annabella, my friend and fellow Stitch Tease Bee member, asked for improv stripe strips when it was her month to be queen in our bee. I had just finished making the Brick House Quilt and I didn't feel like folding all the fabrics and putting them away so I decided to make another quilt from the same fabric bundles. Talk about "killing two birds with one stone"...I was able to make two quilts from two fat quarter bundles AND I didn't have to fold fabric and reshelve it.  Here's a look at the Brick House quilt that I gifted to my friend, Greg, who lost his home in the Ventura Fires of November 2017. 

brick house quilt

And here's a look at the Improv Stripes quilt. They are very different but so similar because they are made of the same fabrics.
I cut random strips of a print and a solid and pieced them together and then cut apart and sewed the strips back together to create the improv blocks. Trimming and piecing them together was a fun project, trying to get a cohesive design was a little more challenging. 

improv stripes quilt

This was my first project to quilt on my new Juki QVP150 sewing machine. I'm still getting used to it's speed and what she likes. I did come up with a name for her. I am calling her Justine, after my godmother, who taught me so much about love and patience. I ran into a bit of a problem when I quilted several tucks into the quilt and had to rip out a lot of the stitches. That was not fun and I still ended up with a little bit of wonkiness in the finished quilt. But, after laundering it, it is hard to notice.
juki QVP150


For the backing I used this vintage postage stamp print from Clothworks. The colors seemed right and I have had it in my stash for several years waiting for the right quilt to use it on. For the binding I used a binding I had pre-made from my stash. 



We took the quilt to the City of Orange on a photo shoot. It was fun to hear the comments of the bike tourists as they drove by us. Some people gave nice comments and someone even asked how much I would sell it for! 


Quilt Stats:
Pattern:Improv Stripes
Fabric: Karen Lewis' Blueberry Park and Carolyn Friedlander solids for Robert Kaufman
Batting: Warm and White
Thread: Pieced with Aurifil 50 wt. and quilted with Perma Core Cotton in 40 wt. color Sheer Yellow
Backing:1930"s Airmail by Clothworks
Binding:Carolyn Friedlander Widescreen in Black
Quilted by me on my Juki QVP150
Finished SIze: 60" x 72"


5 comments:

mascanlon said...

My clever friend! I think I still have a basket of fabric to fold from last months Bee! I sure like how the quilting really brought this piece together. I miss sewing!

Debbie said...

Love the improv stripes! And aren't you clever just avoiding putting away fabric by starting in on another quilt! ;-)

Patchwork and Play said...

Great quilt DI! I was thinking about this improv technique the other day! Maybe this is the push I need to start one of my own! Love the video too.

Linda said...

Two fabulous quilts! Love the improv version, so quirky and interesting to look at.

Carolyn said...

I found your blog and IG while looking for info on the Juki 150QVP and love looking at your clothes and quilts! Thanks so much for sharing these online. Your straight line quilting came out beautiful! I tried the Juki last week and really like the thought of quilting without a walking foot with it. I am looking forward to your thoughts as you use it more.